Tofu French fries
Mini tofu fries, just as thin and crispy as real French fries. Give them a ‘personal touch’ by coating the tofu in your favourite (dry) spice mix before frying.
What do I need?
- 1 block tofu, 250 g
- a deep fryer or a small pan with oil
- a spice mix: 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp freshly ground pepper, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp thyme. Or make your own spice mix! Use the same amount of salt and mix the other spices together.
What do I have to do?
- Cut the tofu into long thin fries, 0.5 cm by 0.5 cm. Lay them next to each other on a sheet of two-ply kitchen paper. Lay another 2-ply sheet of kitchen paper on top and carefully dab them dry by pressing gently on the paper.
- Mix the ingredients for a spice mix on a plate, and coat the tofu fries with this mix.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees. Carefully slide the tofu into the oil. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes until nice and brown. Ensure that the fries do not touch each other, so that they don't stick together. Take the fries out of the pan with a slotted spoon and put them on kitchen paper to drain.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.